- Boards and Commissions
- Arts Commission
District 1: Jaymes Dudding
link to WeDistrict 2: Richard Smith
District 3: Vacant
link to web page
District 4: Vacant
link to Web page
District 5: Michaela Thompson
District 6: Cherie Martin Irwin
link to web page
At-Large: Richard Kozak
Regular meetings of the commission take place on the second Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at Rio Rancho City Hall, 3200 Civic Center Circle NE, in the Development Services Large Conference Room on the first floor.
View city events calendar for upcoming meeting dates.
A municipal organization of appointed officials who will act in an advisory capacity to the Governing Body and make recommendations to the Governing Body in order to enhance and promote the arts within the jurisdiction of the city.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
(1) Develop and seek Governing Body approval for a City of Rio Rancho Cultural Arts Plan. This plan will provide guidelines on how the city will promote public art in all its forms and how the city will go about providing a formal art presence in the city. Once this plan is established, the Arts Commission will update and revise the plan as needed.
(2) As applicable, review and provide recommendations to the Governing Body regarding the purchase and placement of public art throughout the city.
(3) Work with appropriate city departments and divisions to increase the presence of art and art-related cultural activities in the City of Rio Rancho with an emphasis on community involvement.
(4) Make recommendations to the Governing Body related to incentives that help further the arts in the City of Rio Rancho.
(5) Provide support for already established art programs, organizations and institutions.
(6) Recognize and honor local achievements in art.
(7) Work with local educational institutions to promote arts education.
(8) Encourage public-private partnerships that promote the arts.
The Arts Commission membership shall consist of seven municipal residents (one member for each of the City Council Districts and one at-large member) appointed by the Mayor with consent of the City Council.
Each member shall have professional experience or knowledge in an art-related discipline.
The terms of appointment for Arts Commission members shall be three years.