Home Occupation Business Registration

Home Occupation businesses include those businesses using a residential address, within the municipal limits of the City of Rio Rancho, as the address of the business whether or not business will actually be conducted at the residence.  Please note that a physical address is required.  You may not use a PO box.
  • For all home-based businesses, a separate home occupation permit is required (see below)
  • The price for an annual registration is $35 plus a one time fee of $67 for a home occupation permit
  • If you are a loan agent, pawn broker, private detective, auctioneer, or dealer in second hand goods, a license is required for your business. Please refer to the Clerk's Office Schedule of Fees for applicable fees
  • Please note that residential day care operations and residential adult care facilities should not be registered as a home occupation business, and require a fire inspection. Please contact the City's Development Services Department for specific requirements

To register your home occupations, please complete the following:

STEP 1: Complete Application for Business Registration: PDF Format
  • A valid state of New Mexico tax ID number (CRS Number) is required for all businesses. If you do not already have a CRS number, you can obtain one by contacting New Mexico Taxation & Revenue. Please note that Rio Rancho has two location codes (Sandoval County and Bernalillo County). Please make sure you use the correct location code
  • Please click here for additional resources that may be helpful in starting up your business
STEP 2: Complete the Application for a Home Occupation Permit: PDF Format

Return your completed Application with approvals, Wastewater Survey, Emergency Contacts/Alarm Information Form,a copy of your fire inspection, and applicable permits and licenses to the Office of the City Clerk
  • While in-person registration is preferred, please contact the Office of the City Clerk at (505) 891-5004 to make arrangements for fax, email or mail submission
  • Where applicable, please provide copies of your contractor's license, environmental health permit, or other required state licenses/permits when submitting your application