Declaration of Candidacy
Anyone interested in participating as a candidate in the Municipal Officer Election must file a declaration of candidacy between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on the fifty-sixth (56) day before the election, which is January 7, 2020.
Click here to download and complete the Declaration of Candidacy Form
- Declaration of candidacy forms can only be accepted between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Filings will not be accepted prior to, or after, the statutorily mandated time frame. §1-22-3.1(E)(3), NMSA 1978;
- Each declaration of candidacy shall be filed in person by the prospective candidate or by an authorized individual by virtue of an affidavit of written authorization. Affidavit of Authorized Individual Form;
- The City Clerk is prohibited from accepting more than one declaration of candidacy from anyone. §1-22-3.1(E)(2), NMSA 1978;
- A candidate shall file for only one municipal officer position in the City of Rio Rancho. §1-22-3.1(E)(2), NMSA 1978;
- A declaration of candidacy shall not be amended after it has been filed with the City Clerk. §1-22-7(C), NMSA 1978;
- Please be prepared by completing and notarizing the required forms;
- Each declaration of candidacy and voter registration certificate will be reviewed and a determination of qualification will be provided in writing by the City Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. on the Friday after the filing day. §1-22-3.1(E), NMSA 1978
Voter Registration Requirements
- The candidate’s name and residential address provided on the declaration of candidacy shall match the voter registration certificate on file with the Sandoval County Clerk. Each candidate’s name will appear on the ballot exactly as it is listed on the voter registration certificate. §1-10-6 NMAC.
- The voter registration certificate to be used for candidacy qualification must be effective on or before the date on which the Secretary of State’s Office issues an Election Proclamation. Changes are not allowed at the time of candidate filing. §1-22-8, NMSA 1978
- Current voter registration information is viewable at nmvote.org or a copy of a voter registration certificate can be obtained by contacting the Sandoval County Clerk.