- Departments & More
- Financial Services
- Motor Vehicle Division
- Vehicle Titling and Registration
Vehicle Titling and Registration
Registering and titling your vehicle in New MexicoYou will need to bring the following documentation to the Motor Vehicle Division:
- Valid identification such as a valid driver’s license, birth certificate or passport.
- Your certificate of title; if held by a lien holder, you will need the lien-holder’s name and address to request the title.If possible, obtain the lien-holder’s fax number to help expedite the process. All vehicles incoming from out-of-state are required:
- Certified Vehicle inspection - Rio Rancho MVD will only process the VIN Inspection on the vehicle if the title is in our possession, sent to us by the lienholder or dealer.If you are holding your own title, you must visit a state MVD office for the inspection.
- NCIC Clearance
NCIC CLEARANCE IS PROCESSED AT THE RIO RANCHO MVD AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO THE CUSTOMER
- If new to the state you also need two (2) documents to prove your residency in NM.(see acceptable documents list)
Emissions Inspection TestResidents of Bernalillo County must provide proof that the vehicle has passed an emissions inspection test.These tests are available throughout Bernalillo county at certified "Air Care" stations.For more information about emissions testing, contact the Vehicle Pollution Management Division, 1500 Broadway NE, Albuquerque, NM 87102; (505) 247-2273.
Out-of-State Vehicles and Emissions TestingYou must complete the required "Affidavit of Vehicle Unavailability for Inspection” and complete all required MVD documents and submit all documents to Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Vehicle Pollution Management Program. They approve the waiver and forward your registration payment and forms to MVD.You must submit your waiver form prior to the 10th of the month to allow for processing time.
Registration FeesThe registration fees for a vehicle are based on the year model and weight.For information on fee calculation for trailers, or commercial vehicles, call the MVD customer service center at 1-888-683-4636 (1-888-MVD-INFO). Permanent registration is available for utility and travel trailers weighing less than 6,000 pounds.
Insurance RequirementsAll vehicles operating on the roadways of NM must meet the minimum NM Insurance requirements of 25/50/10.The first amount is bodily injury or death of one (1) person in any one accident, the second amount is bodily injury or death of two (2) or more persons in any one accident and the third amount is for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident.
Out-of-state policies must meet the minimum NM insurance requirements. You will need to bring in the declaration page of your policy showing your coverage in detail.